Full-Time Environmental Officer by Newmont Mining Corporation
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- Are you able to coordinate environmental aspects relating to the closure and concurrent reclamation program, while ensuring adherence and compliance to all related environmental policies, procedures and standards, Ghanaian laws and regulations, as well as Newmont’s Corporate Environmental Standards at all times?
In This Role You Will:
Closure and Reclamation
- Develop scope and workplan for concurrent reclamation program on an annual basis and provide support for its execution and monitoring to ensure compliance to approved reclamation and closure plans and success criteria.
- Provide liaison support with the operations team to contribute to the creation of an end-to-end Life of Mine (LOM) plan that accommodates for concurrent reclamation and meets the agreed closure criteria.
- Participate in the review of closure and reclamation designs
- Provide support for the preparation and update of the LOM closure and reclamation costs estimates.
- Support the coordination and the collation of all necessary information for the EPA Reclamation Bonding process
- Coordinate field work activities of consultants engaged for closure and reclamation related projects.
- Develop, implement and measure success of Ahafo concurrent reclamation.
- Update Ahafo’s closure plan as required and track progress against targets and objectives.
- Monitor all land disturbances from project development and related construction activities to ensure optimum stripping, stockpiling and management of top soil as well as compliance to all requirements and procedures.
- Provide direct field support in the implementation of the bushfire prevention strategy and supervision of personnel engaged as part of the bushfire prevention program.
- Collect monitoring data related to revegetation dynamics, soil characteristics, and optimization of plant growth and prepare documentation and reports of reclamation success criteria.
- Monitor waste management contractors to ensure compliance to procedures and other requirements.
- Provide continuous improvement initiatives for the waste management program.
- Supervise technicians assigned to the waste management facilities to ensure they comply with procedures.
- Review waste streams periodically to ensure the waste management plan has comprehensive coverage .
- Manage waste data for reporting.
Seedling Nursery Management
- Supervise technicians assigned to the nursery to produce seedlings per the workplan developed for each period.
- Identify the right sources of quality seeds or saplings, ensure proper storage and production of seedlings.
- Ensure effective maintenance of the seedlings produced at the nursery.
- Manage inventory of tools and materials for concurrent reclamation activities.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Civil Engineering or a related field.
- Knowledge of Ghanaian environmental regulations as they apply to mining.
- HSE Officer competency in Minerals and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation (LI2182).
- Advanced understanding of Environment Management Systems.
- A valid Ghanaian Driver’s license (Minimum Class B).
- A minimum of 5 years’ environmental management experience working in the mining or related construction environments.
- Experience in working with ISO4001 or similar Environmental Management Systems.
- Advanced interpersonal skills (interacting with diverse functional and cultural backgrounds)
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and reporting skills.
- Strong planning, prioritizing and coordination skills.
- Sound auditing skills (environmental auditing).
- Sound coaching and mentoring skills.
- Sound change management skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Strong Detail Focus – environmental scanning.
- Takes initiative.
- Goal orientated.
- Safety conscious.
- Results driven.
- Position is located at the Ahafo South mine.
- The incumbent’s working time will be mainly spent in the field inspecting reclamation and reclaimed sites. These sites may be natural ground, waste rock dumps or within vegetation and uneven, inclined and wet terrain.
Closing Date :18th Feb. 2022
How to ApplyClick Here to Submit your CV and Application on Company Website JOB ALERTS: Click Here to Join the official Group for Job Seekers
434 total views, 3 today